You remember in grade school or high school or wherever when one chick in your class would get the rest of you in trouble? And it was, like, totally unfair because, like, you didn't do anything wrong, but you got in trouble anyway? Well, this is one of those fucking times. All because of one chick, one bridey bitch... Well, she just ruined it for the rest of you lovely brides to be. Her entitled, cunty ways just threw me over the edge. Yup! You read that right. I just used a really bad word (one I've never used on Bitchless Bride for the record), but when there is no other way to explain it and still get my point across, I felt forced to use a word that stings a bit... Anyway, allow me to elaborate.
Here's the gist... I am not your servant. I am not your bitch. I am your experienced wedding planner who you hired to get shit done. I'm somebody who knows people to get shit done. I'm not some little "yes" girl. Seriously, sometimes I wish you brideys would treat me like an attorney instead of a wedding planner who's expected to smile every time you make a decision all by your little self. If I were an attorney, you'd give me the facts, tell me your thoughts and LISTEN to my PROFESSIONAL opinion based on my experience. But, because I am in the "bend over and take it industry", sorry, the service industry, I'm forced to smile through my gritted teeth.
So, let's get to it... Back to the Basics ~ 5 Tips on How to Not be a Bridey Bitch:
1. Fucking... be nice. You get more sugar with honey (or however the hell that phrase goes!)... Make people WANT to help you. If you're rude, then you don't get any damn sugar. PERIOD.
2. Don't take advantage of the perks of the industry; our industry. What are you talking about BB? Well, a few days ago, I received a short story from a fellow vendor, and part of what she wrote really resonated with me... She said (referring to a bride), "When you come in for a hair and make-up trial, and then get the stylist to do a complimentary trial on your mom and sister, you just might be taking a tad bit of an advantage. The service is for you, not for your entourage!!" Brideys, this shit happens ALL the time! You must stop assuming that everything is free! If your mom wants her makeup done, well, then she has to pay for it.
3. Please don't assume... What is that stupid saying? Assume: Makes an ASS out of U and ME. Bridey, if you're getting married at a hotel or restaurant, don't assume that just because you stopped by or you were "in the neighborhood" that a) we can drop everything to see you because you have arrived, and b) that we need to sponsor your cocktails and appetizers in our bar. Several people do business with this establishment. If we treated all of them to freebies, most likely we'd be fired. You are no exception.
4. This is a biggie... When you are meeting with a vendor, put your fucking phone away. Unless somebody is dying, then I don't want to see it. You expect my full attention, don't you? Well, I expect yours too. So, put that shit away. NOW.
5. Say "thank you". Tell me that you appreciate all of my hard work. Because you know what? I deserve it.
Phew... I feel better. I haven't had a really good ranty vent in a while. Guess I've been lucky with my crop of brides, but as I stated in the beginning of this post, all it takes is one chick, one bridey bitch, to fuck it up for the rest of you...
Illustration via: by Leah Michelle