Bridey, I can handle a lot of things, but the one thing I cannot stand is to be micromanaged. Period. So, please don’t micromanage me. And please don’t micromanage your vendors. The funny thing is that I’m not talking about now; the wedding planning process. I’m talking about on your wedding day. Seriously, don’t you have enough on your mind? Like, oh, I don’t know… your wedding vows, your reception and how basically every single person you love will be in the same room at the same time… That’s a big deal, bridey. HUGE actually, and I hate to say it, but that will most likely only happen one other time in your life. Yeah, I’ll let you figure that one out yourself.
As I was saying, this is our job. We, your vendors, do this most every weekend throughout the year (more or less), and hopefully you will only do this once. And when you take a step back, who has more experience? I’ll give you a hint, it ain’t you babe! So, please, just enjoy your wedding day because not only do you deserve to be utterly happy, but we have worked incredibly hard making it happen for you.
Look, I know that it’s easier said than done, so I thought I would give you a few pointers on how to prevent your bridey ass from turning into a micromanager on your wedding day:
1. I know this is simple, but just resist the urge to micromanage. Every time you feel it bubbling up, think about the big picture and all of the professionals you have hired to do their jobs. Bridey, you are not on the clock today. You should literally just sit there looking pretty and enjoying yourself.
2. Remember how I said that you hired professionals? Well bridey, give yourself a round of applause because there is a reason why you hired WHO you hired, right? So let go of all your Type A mannerisms and allow said professionals to do the job you hired them to do.
3. On that note, let them (your vendors) do their job their way. Perhaps you’ve dabbled in photography or were an MC in college. That’s great, but please don’t begin suggesting amazing shots that your photographer just “has to take” or making turntable recommendations to your DJ. They’ll figure it out! They always do. Bridey, unless there is something specific that you forgot to communicate to one of your vendors or the venue prior to your wedding, ease off and just relax!
4. Eat. I know it’s hard; I really do, but force yourself to eat so you don’t get cranky. The last thing you need is for your blood sugar to drop (for many reasons), but most of all, when we get cranky our judgment becomes a bit skewed and our filter dies. Something that might not have bothered you with a passed hors d’oeuvre or two in your system will certainly bother you on an empty stomach and can possibly unleash the micromanager. So eat. Please.
5. Here it comes… My favorite word ever… PERSPECTIVE!! Bridey, you are about to marry the love of your life. So quit worrying about the fucking vodka for the signature cocktail or exact timing of every detail! In the grand scheme of things, it doesn’t matter. YOU matter. Your sig other matters. And ruining your experience by micromanaging your wedding will be what you remember most, and is that what you really want? I didn’t think so...
Ladies, I really hope you take what I’ve said to heart. You have little to no control on your wedding day, and that’s a good thing! Allow the people you’ve hired and your friends and family take care of you because before you know it, it’ll be over.
Got it? Good! Stay Bitchless!
Image via Utah Bride Blog