As a wedding planner, coach and founder of Bitchless Bride, a common question I get asked by almost every bride I talk to is, “What have you seen or done at a wedding that’s totally different or out-of-the-box?” And, the funny thing is by simply asking me that question, the originality looses its meaning. I mean, if I tell you what’s original, then it’s no longer original, right? So, rather than tell these eager brides what I have seen that’s so different or so original, I tell them what was original about the couple, and how they incorporated that into their wedding day. The truth is, bridey, is that there is really nothing you can do at your wedding that hasn’t been done before, and probably like a million times (this year alone!). But… don’t fret! I’m sure that you and your sig other rock some pretty original and unique attributes that you can easily fuse into your wedding! And, more often than not? That’s the shit your guests will love! So, I’ll share my top five unoriginal, yet completely unique wedding ideas with you based on real couples and real weddings that have graced the pages of Bitchless Bride.
1. Goofball wedding. This bride and groom could hardly keep a straight face the whole day, and I love them for it! Connie and Tim are probably one of my favorite weddings ever… Aside from the awesome Star Wars and Futurama references and nods, this B+G are funny people who made funny faces throughout their entire wedding day, and ensured that their guests would have a fantastic time attending their wedding. They stayed true to who they are (complete goofballs), and when I published their wedding, I wrote that the bride and groom will, “absolutely look back on their wedding day and see themselves smiling back. Not some contrived, weddingy version of themselves.” See, that’s the thing, bridey. All of the “stuff” that makes a wedding “original” tends to be trendy bullshit that will come and go. But, dropping hints of your inner geek and showing your guests who you are as a couple? That is timeless!
2. Zombie wedding. Bridey, zombie weddings have totally been done before, usually on or around Halloween, but it’s the bride and groom’s vision that makes it unique. And Allison and James? Holy shit! I fell in love with Allison the minute I learned that she took a scissors to the bridesmaids dresses! Certainly no pressure to wear those dresses again! But, what I really loved was all of the detail and thought the B+G put into the plans. From the red uplighting which totally set the mood (both romantic and spooky) to the bride’s black and white wedding dress to the black linen to the creative guest costumes and insanely FAB makeup (um, definitely not your typical wedding makeup!), it was wonderfully unique, while at the same time still quite elegant.
3. Retro-Inspired wedding. Retro weddings are super fucking cool for a variety of reasons. First of all, the décor, if done well, can blow the wedding away! Secondly, the photographs are totally exquisite. Take Denise and Jeremy… They had such a sensational retro wedding in Arizona that I was completely distracted by all the eye candy as I tried to write up their wedding. The furniture, the lighting, and even the overall feel of the space was completely over the top! And, for two people who have a retro flare? Why not incorporate it into your wedding? The possibilities are endless when it comes to favors, décor, entertainment and even the cake!
4. Super Glam Wedding. If money is not a thing, bridey, and you and your sig other have an affinity for the finer things in life, then glam it up girl! Go crazy with the flowers and décor! Let the gold and Moët flow! Take Kristi and Steve… This fabulous Australian couple literally made my jaw drop when I saw the pictures of their STUNNING wedding. Everything from the five tiered, gold wedding cake (OMFG!), to the deep red and pink flowers to the black dance floor, and just the way the uplighting reflected off of their cake (Yup! You read that right!)… It was truly beautiful! And the B+G loved every second. If glamorous is your style, then go for it!
5. Rustic Wedding. Nothing new here, bridey, but putting your own unique spin on something that has become super trendy? Now, that’s pretty awesome! Personally? It all comes down to the venue and the details. A lovely barn with a tent, long tables with mismatched China or napkins, tons of DIY and usually a lot of booze make a rustic wedding so rustically fantastic. But, when you make it your own like Gloria and Maggie did, then it becomes completely unique, and about the two of you. A distinctive take on a familiar idea.
So, bridey, what’s your unoriginal wedding going to look like? How are you going to make it your own? What will you and your sig other bring to your wedding day that reflects more about who you are as a couple instead of the next BIG thing?
Image via Katie Hartig