I hear it all the time, "BB, I just want my wedding to be different, ya' know?" Duh... Of course I know, bridey, I hear it all the time! And I agree with you, but the problem is that everything has been done before, right? So the best way to keep your wedding different? Figure out what's unique about the two of you, and build your wedding around it. For example, take three minutes out of your day to watch the YouTube video. It's funny. It's unique. It' the lift. The lift from Dirty Dancing? You picking up what I'm putting down, bridey? And I love it! C'mon, I don't care how old you are, you totally know what I am talking about and if you don't, then check out the scene from Crazy, Stupid Love with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone where they emulate it:
Clearly, this particular couple seems to have a knack for dancing (and so do Ryan and Emma), but even if you don't dance (or don't want to), just allow yourself to be inspired by it. Because, if you DO choose to do the lift, your guests will be talking about it for years to come, and who knows... you may end up a YouTube sensation! But, here's the thing, bridey, part of having a different wedding than all of the others, is actually having the balls to be different, and frankly most of you end up succumbing to the pressure of "the norm" when push comes to shove. Sorry, but it's true... The cool thing? You don't have to go SO over the top to have a unique wedding; you just have to have to incorporate some cool shit.
Like what? What I have seen or executed? Well, check out 5 of my faves:
1. So, you and your fianće love the movies? Well, I am a big fan of having your guests enter via a red carpet. Depending on where you are in the country, it's not a big ticket item, and it certainly sets the tone for an extravagant experience. Even if you hate the movies, your guests will love the red carpet, so go for it!
2. Bhangra dancers. Nothing gets a party started like some Bhangra dancers. And you don't have to be Indian to appreciate just how awesome and energetic this kind of dancing is. It's a fantastic way to get your guests excited, and off of their asses and onto the dance floor.
3. I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Seems like the only time I see an ice cream sundae bar is at a Mitzvah, and you know what? Adults love a good sundae bar. So why not create a cake and ice cream station? How awesome is that?!! And instead of serving your wedding cake, put it on the ice cream station. RIGHT? OMG! Totally salivating right now!! Wanna make it even more decadent? Then add a chef attendant who's sole responsibility is to make adult milkshakes. Woot! Woot!
4. Something about me? Well, as much as I love fancy shmancy food, I live for junk food. So if the ice cream sundae bar isn't your thing, then what about a Hostess and French fry bar? Seriously, roll it out at the end of the night when your guests need a bit a of a break from the booze and dancing. It will go, and fast.
5. Can't do the whole Vegas wedding thing? Well, then, bring Vegas to your wedding. Several companies provide the casino tables, dealers, etc. The only caveat? You can't play with real money (legally). But, who cares!? You don't really want people losing money at your wedding, right? But, it's super fun, and if you have a kick ass floor plan; one with the casino table surrounding the dance floor, you won't lose anybody either.
See what I mean, bridey? A cool and unique wedding can be done, even without the lift!! Got it? Good! Stay Bitchless!